Traditional HomemadeTex-Mex Comfort Foodby Kelly R. Smith
Ads we feature have been independently selected and reviewed. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn a commission, which helps support the site. Thank you for your support.
Enchiladas are originally from traditional Mexican cuisine, but the ones I make have sort of crossed the border to Tex-Mex. They can be filled with a variety of ingredients, including meats, cheese, beans, potatoes, vegetables, or usually, a combination. The sauces are usually chili-based sauces, like salsa roja, various moles, or cheese-based sauces, like chile con queso. The recipe I present here is the one I made a couple of nights ago, but feel free to indulge in modifications!
Chicken Enchilada Ingredients
- 6 – 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 lb. cooked, shredded chicken; I simply used a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to expedite the process.
- 3 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 – 4.5 oz diced green chilis with their juice
- 1 14 oz. can oz mild red or green enchilada sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced red onions
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican, Four Cheese, or Colby Jack)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions or chives
- Optional: chopped jalapeno, serrano, or (whew) habanero peppers to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Add all ingredients except for the cheese and the chicken into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix completely.
- Transfer 1/3 of the mixture into another mixing bowl.
- Add the chicken and 2 cups of your cheese to the 2/3 bowl and mix in well.
- Generously add contents of the 2/3 bowl to the center of each tortilla and roll up tortillas tightly. Arrange them in your dish as you go.
- Pour the reserved 1/3 of sauce over the tortillas, spread well, and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese (you can add more cheese if you desire).
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 400˚F for 35 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this Cheesy Chicken Enchilada recipe as much as we do. I always get an opinion from She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed and this dish got two thumbs up! Next time I’ll experiment a bit more. The basil in my garden is really taking off now so…
- Creamy Parmesan Basil Chicken Recipe
- Taco Beef and Cheese Sopes Recipe
- How to Make Sauce Cling to Your Pasta
- Panamanian-Style Ceviche Recipe
- Endless Crop of Green Onions, Chives
- Tater Tots Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe
- Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe
- Basil: a Savory Addition to Your Herb Garden and Kitchen
Looking for more great content? Visit our main page or partner sites:
I offer article and blog-writing services. Interested? Contact me for a quote!
Did you find this article helpful? Millions of readers rely on information on this blog and our main site to stay informed and find meaningful solutions. Please chip in as little as $3 to keep this site free for all.