This Satisfying Dish is a Favorite Comfort Food. Easy to Make and Nutritious, Your Whole Family Will Love It!by Kelly R. Smith
Ads we feature have been independently selected and reviewed. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission, which helps support the site.
This article was updated on 03/26/21.
I made this tasty dish last weekend and it was a huge hit! All three of my basil plants are going gangbusters right now so if I’m not making pesto, spaghetti carbonara, or something else, I’m looking to be creative. I mention this because one of the keys to growing basil all season is to keep it trimmed back. If you let the flowers and seeds get out of hand you won’t be encouraging leaf growth.
This recipe is so easy and quick to make. I only spent about 45 minutes preparing it. It serves 4. Here’s how:
Creamy Parmesan Basil Chicken Ingredient List
- 4 large chicken breasts (Whole, sliced in half, or cut into strips)
- 1 box of pasta, your choice
- 3 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 onion, finely minced (I prefer red onions but use what you like)
- 3-4 ounces roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 2 to 3 cups packed fresh basil leaves, cut up (quantity is a personal preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- In a large non-stick pan on medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then sear, 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until just cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Start the pasta cooking while continuing with the sauce; cook until al dente.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. Toss in the onion, garlic, peppers, paprika, red chili pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Saute for about five minutes, just until onions and peppers become soft.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add wine or chicken stock to de-glaze the pan. Adjust heat as needed to bring to a gentle simmer until reduced by half.
- Lower the heat to medium low. Add the cream to the pan. Stir it until a creamy sauce forms. Add in the Parmesan cheese and stir until it is melted into sauce. Stir in the basil and simmer until just wilted, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and allow to warm up. It’s done! Serve over the pasta.
You Might also Enjoy…
- Low-Carb Egg Noodles Pasta Recipe. This is great for those who enjoy making their own pasta with a unique texture.
- Panamanian-Style Ceviche Recipe. Ready to add some spice to your life? Most Latin countries have their own take on the exact ingredient list, but this is what I grew up with so it is the best. Lo siento mucho, Mexico y Colombia!
- Turkey Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Covid-19 Lock-down Homemade Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- Basil: a Savory Addition to Your Herb Garden and Kitchen
Looking for more great content? Visit our main site I Can Fix Up My Home and our partner sites:
I offer article and blog-writing services. Interested? Hire Me!
Did you find this article helpful? Millions of readers rely on information on this blog and our main site to stay informed and find meaningful solutions. Please chip in as little as $3 to keep this site free for all.
About the Author:
Kelly R. Smith is an Air Force veteran and was a commercial carpenter for 20 years before returning to night school at the University of Houston where he earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science. After working at NASA for a few years, he went on to develop software for the transportation, financial, and energy-trading industries. He has been writing, in one capacity or another, since he could hold a pencil. As a freelance writer now, he specializes in producing articles and blog content for a variety of clients. His personal blog is at I Can Fix Up My Home Blog where he muses on many different topics.