This is a New Take on Comfort Food Pub Grub; Economical and Easy to Prepare.by Kelly R. Smith
This article was updated on 10/01/2021.
Ads we feature have been independently selected and reviewed. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn a commission, which helps support the site. Thank you for your support.
The weather is starting to cool off and that means two things — it is time for a flu shot and comfort food is the order of the day. This recipe for shepherd’s pie fills the bill nicely. Easy, frugal meals are just what we need as we spend more time at home because of the COVID-19 pandemic or inclement weather. One good thing about this meal is its flexibility. There is any number of substitutions and additions you can make. Customize your vegetables or add hot peppers So, let’s get started.
Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 box Beef Pasta Hamburger Helper (or the flavor of your choice); tonight I’m going to use the “cheesy enchilda” flavor.
- Hot water/milk called for on Hamburger Helper box
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Hungry Jack mashed potatoes for 6 servings
- Water and butter called for on mashed potatoes box for 6 servings
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Chopped parsley (amount to taste)
- Using a 10-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat for 5 – 7 minutes, stirring often, until brown. Drain the grease. Stir in hot water, milk, sauce mix, uncooked pasta (from the Hamburger Helper box), and thawed vegetables. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the pasta and vegetables are tender. As you do this, make the mashed potatoes as directed on box for 6 servings. Remove the skillet from heat.
- Spoon and gently spread mashed potatoes over the pasta mixture. Sprinkle with the cheese. Cover; let stand about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Got a blog or website? Want more revenue? Monetize it!
More Recipes From My Kitchen and Garden
- Turkey Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Classic Beef Stroganoff
- Habanero Hot Sauce
- Low-Carb Spaghetti Carbonara
- Panamanian-Style Ceviche Recipe
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- Low Carb Egg Noodles Pasta Recipe
Looking for more great content? Visit our main page or partner sites:
I offer article and blog-writing services. Interested? Contact me for a quote!
Did you find this article helpful? Millions of readers rely on information on this blog and our main site to stay informed and find meaningful solutions. Please chip in as little as $3 to keep this site free for all.