This very-familiar comfort food is just as well known as Pizza Margherita but the following recipe for Potato Gratin is my take on it and I find it superior to the mainstream version. The name sounds fancy but in reality, gratin just means ” a dish with a light browned crust of breadcrumbs or melted cheese.”
Potato Gratin Ingredient List (use organic when possible)
- Cooking spray such as Pam
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup mayo (I use the kind made with olive oil because it is more heart-healthy)
- 1 tsp Himalayan or pink salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (I leave the skins on for the nutrition)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the bottom of a 9″ X 9″ glass baking dish with the cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the mayo, pepper, salt, cream, and cheddar cheese.
- Wash and slice potatoes 1/8″ thick.
- Arrange potato slices in the baking dish, spread on a layer of the cream sauce, and sprinkle on some parsley and basil.
- Repeat layers as needed (you might have some potato left over).
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove foil, sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top, and broil until the top is lightly browned, about 2-5 minutes.
That’s all there is to it. Creamy potato gratin is suitable for a side or a main dish by itself. Give it a try; if you have any interesting ingredients to add, let our readers know in the comment section. Feel free to pass this recipe along to your friends and social media.
Looking for more great content? Visit our partner sites:
I offer article and blog-writing services. Interested? Hire Me!
Did you find this article helpful? Please consider supporting this free site with a small donation! We rely on our readers rather than a paywall to keep the lights on and the info flowing.
Visit Kelly’s profile on Pinterest.
About the Author:
Kelly R. Smith is an Air Force veteran and was a commercial carpenter for 20 years before returning to night school at the University of Houston where he earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science. After working at NASA for a few years, he went on to develop software for the transportation and financial and energy trading industries. He has been writing, in one capacity or another, since he could hold a pencil. As a freelance writer now, he specializes in producing articles and blog content for a variety of clients. His personal blog is at I Can Fix Up My Home Blog where he muses on many different topics.
2 Replies to “Creamy Potato Gratin Recipe”
This was great! Thx!
The more cheese the better. Decadent.