Home security is more important than ever. Gone are the days when we could leave the front door unlocked or the garage door open. This is precisely the reason why selling alarm systems and surveillance cameras is such a lucrative business.
There are other methods to foil the bad guys both before and during a break-in or home invasion. Rather that complacently thinking, “It will never happen to me,” consider the following tips. Forewarned is forearmed.
- Protect your home from burglars by securing the garage. This is a prime spot for not only grabbing your stored stuff, but there is usually a door leading into the home that is not as secure as the front door.
- Ensure that you have defensive “tools” for easy access in all areas of your home. You might keep your pistol by your bedside and that’s great. But keep in mind that you won’t always be able to get to it in an emergency when Billy Badass is blocking your way. Place cans of wasp spray in various locations. They shoot a fine stream for about 20 feet. A shot in the eyeballs will stop the most unruly crackhead. A stun gun or taser in a bathroom or kitchen drawer might save the day.
- Have plenty of exterior lighting. Whether you opt for always-on or motion sensor lights one thing is for sure—no crook likes to be seen. They would rather move on to darker environs.
- Got a back porch but no guard dog? Put out a big water bowl and chain-on-a-stake anyhow. The very idea of a dog being present is enough to make many crooks move on.
- Make it look like your home is always occupied. If you are going to be away, have your neighbor pick up your mail and newspaper daily. Put your interior lights on a timer.
- If your circuit breaker box is outside, put a padlock on it. This will prevent crooks from putting you in the dark before they invade.
- Don’t stash a door key under the mat, over the door trim, or in one of those obviously “fake rocks.” Crooks are hip to all these amateur tricks. If you must stash a spare key, be more imaginative. Why not put it in a medicine bottle and actually bury it? It’s not like you will need it very often.
Looking for more great content? Visit our partner sites:
I offer article and blog post writing. Need one? Hire Me!